Re: Laptop recommendation

Subject: Re: Laptop recommendation
From: Mark Giffin <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 14:04:18 -0800

I think if you strongly prefer the Macbook then you should go for it. I don't see a downside if you only need git and Confluence. If you need to also run Windows you can do it on the Macbook with things like VMware. I have friends who do that and claim Windows runs well on the Mac, and I would tend to believe them. I personally would have to think about it more because I'm not the audience for Apple products. I'd get one if I needed to for a client (like, say, if their developers all thought MacBooks were cool and I'd get along better if I had one too, or if the bash command line shell was causing me too much trouble on Windows).

Being able to run Windows well on a Mac is not because Macs are superior in some mysterious way, it's because the Mac OS X EULA won't allow you to run OS X elsewhere (such as on a Windows machine in a VM). (Although people do run OS X under Windows but it's sub-legal and a pain to get it right.) If Apple loosened their OS X EULA, then companies like VMware would likely make it easy to run OS X on other than Apple hardware. Otherwise I'm sure they'd be sued by Apple.

But I've used ThinkPad W520s for years and like them, with Windows 7. The T models like the T540 are lesser-spec than W models but probably good too. I intend to stay on my ThinkPads with Win7 and skip Windows 8 until Windows 10 comes out, just like I skipped Windows Vista.

Mark Giffin
Mark Giffin Consulting, Inc.
http://markgiffin.com/

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 2:40 PM, Ryan G Young <ryangyoung -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
A good problem: I'm starting a new job on Monday and I need to choose which laptop to use. The choice is between:
- 13" Macbook Air
- 13" Macbook Pro Retina
- Lenovo ThinkPad T440p
- Lenovo ThinkPad T540
All of their documentation is currently in Markdown in various GitHub repositories. Presumably, we'll need some other tools at some point (maybe Confluence?) but not for a while probably.
I'd personally--strongly--prefer a Macbook.

Thoughts?

Doc-To-Help: The Quickest Way to Author and Publish Online Help, Policy & Procedure Guides, eBooks, and more using Microsoft Word | http://bit.ly/doctohelp2015