Re: Advice for interviewing new tech writers - Samples and legal issues

Subject: Re: Advice for interviewing new tech writers - Samples and legal issues
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>, 'Julie Stickler' <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:25:37 -0800

A self-written "sample" tells me nothing about a candidate's ability to obtain information from SMEs, marshall a project through reviews or publish on schedule. A sample of actual product at least gives me an opportunity to ask a candidate to tell me about these things.

If you know you won't be able to use anything from your jobs as examples of your work, you should be cultivating long term relationships with people who will be willing to talk to a prospective employer about your abilities outside of the usual "we're not allowed to give references" HR channels. Actually, you should be doing that no matter how many samples you have available.

Gene Kim-Eng
Doc-To-Help: The Quickest Way to Author and Publish Online Help, Policy & Procedure Guides, eBooks, and more using Microsoft Word | http://bit.ly/doctohelp2015