RE: Advice for interviewing new tech writers

Subject: RE: Advice for interviewing new tech writers
From: Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- nuot -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 14:33:00 +0000

That's the problem with candidates submitting writing samples -- they may have been cleaned up by an editor, or have been produced by someone else. I've experienced plenty of job applicants who proved, once hired, that they could not produce work anywhere near to the standard indicated by their samples.

In addition to asking for a writing sample, I had candidates write a short product intro based on a fact sheet, and had them proofread a short procedure that had a bunch of common grammatical, structural, and logical errors built in. You'd be surprised how many candidates who claimed to have a "keen eye for detail" who missed a really obvious typo in the procedure title, did not correct instances of awkward passive-voice constructions, and missed a lot of inconsistences in names and formatting.

The tests gave me a more accurate idea of the candidates' real skill level and tech writing knowledge, and allowed for me to discuss what areas they might need to work on (and their willingness to learn and take editorial feedback) during the interview.