RE: "INSTRUCTIONS NOT INCLUDED"

Subject: RE: "INSTRUCTIONS NOT INCLUDED"
From: Kaylin Boehme <kaylinboehme -at- quadax -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 13:44:41 +0000

Seems to me that as the need for printed/upfront documentation fades away thanks to advances in UXD, the importance of "official documentation" will be in helping the consumer with those advanced features that you don't find on the surface. Sure, you can use an iPhone straight out of the box with no help and you can find answers online when you have questions (assuming you know enough to ask the right question to get the right answer), but practically every device on the market these days is capable of serving dozens or hundreds of functions.

The idea that "less is less" and easy to use products make the consumer dumber is groundless, in my opinion. If you buy a high end camera but all you want to do is put it on Auto and use it as a point and click, that's your call. If you want to take the time to learn the more advanced features then you will find the information to help you do so - it's about the consumer's expectations and intended use, not about cramming documentation and features down their throats.

As for Rick's comment on image-based society, I will grudgingly refrain from comment because I could talk about that all day!

- Kaylin