RE: Economist magazine points to decline of tech writing

Subject: RE: Economist magazine points to decline of tech writing
From: Kaylin Boehme <kaylinboehme -at- quadax -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 13:56:00 +0000

Delurking, hello!

I just started working as a technical writer after having switched from librarianship (another profession the media, Forbes in particular, is fond of proclaiming dead) and I thought this article in The Economist was just terrible. I don't know how anyone could look objectively at a list that says technical writers are 8% more likely to be automated than word processors. I also wondered about their definition of "editor", which is listed as only 6% likely to be automated.

Thanks to Robert for providing the source... it's always helpful to have more information on where these "statistics" come from. People often see sensational numbers/headlines and don't stop to analyze them properly.

Kaylin Tristano
http://theleastshrew.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 20:19:18 -0800
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>

Garbage in, garbage out.

The chart in the Economist article is taken from and cites this paper:

http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/downloads/academic/The_Future_of_Employment.pdf

Its authors used an algorithm to guess which of 702 job
classifications are likely to be computerized. I think there's a flaw
in their algorithm and/or the source data ("literature on the task
content of employment" etc.), since tech writing consists of pretty
much the opposite of "tasks following well-defined procedures that can
easily be performed by sophisticated algorithms."

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1pJ4zPa