Re: Large Documents in Word

Subject: Re: Large Documents in Word
From: Susan W Gallagher <susanwg -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 15:48:52 -0800

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>
wrote:

> Thanks Dan... forgive my Word ignorance, but I've got a few questions:
>

> " Insert graphics from a file"
> - If you mean that in the Insert tab, click Picture, then navigate to and
> select the image, then that's what I've been doing. I'd say that leads to a
> catastrophic crash about 1 in 20 times.
> - "link graphics" ... to what?

When you import a picture from a file, you have a choice to insert or link
to the file. If you insert, a copy of the file is inserted into Word and
that's the end of it. If you link, a pointer to the file is inserted into
Word. The document is smaller, so more stable, and as an added bonus, if
you update the graphic, it's automagically updated in the document.

> - "If the document causes trouble, Maggie it." What does "Maggie it" mean?

LOL! Named for Maggie Secarra, who uses the process extensively. Word uses
the pilcrow (paragraph mark) to hold data about the paragraph format and
other things. The last pilcrow in the document holds a lot of information,
so, if you copy all but the last pilcrow of a document into a new file, you
frequently manage to leave a lot of problems behind in that nasty little
pilcrow. :)

> - "minimize section breaks" ??? meaning avoid breaking up the material
> into logical and workable chunks?

You use section breaks to change something mid-document -- margins, number
of columns, headers and footers, ... The more section breaks you have in a
document...

HTH!
-Sue Gallagher
Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1pJ4zPa