Word: RunningHeader with Styleref

Subject: Word: RunningHeader with Styleref
From: Lin Sims <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 15:33:38 -0400

A while back I helped set up a template for use by engineers that had a
two-line header in it. The first line had a Styleref to the chapter title,
the second line had a Styleref to the Heading 1 style.

To keep them from applying ad hoc stylings instead of using the
corporate-approved ones, we restricted style usage and locked the template.

This worked great, until someone came up with a chapter that didn't HAVE
any Heading1s, and suddenly we have the last Heading1 used in the previous
chapter carrying over.

Is there ANY way to tell Word that if the Chapter Name changes and there is
no Heading 1, to not display the second line in the header? That doesn't
require the engineers know how to do much of anything except select a style
or a button?

Technically, I'm not supporting this anymore, but the guy stuck with doing
so now has been helpful to me in the past, and it'd be nice to return the
favor.

--
Lin Sims

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l