Re: issue with graphics imported into FrameMaker 8

Subject: Re: issue with graphics imported into FrameMaker 8
From: Lin Sims <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 13:06:03 -0400

Used to be you could get a plugin called ImpGraph that would let you set
the default image size; alas, with Bruce Foster's death a few years back,
it became unavailable.

You could try fmGraphicTools,
http://www.mevis-research.de/~ritter/awakeideas/fmtools.html. It'll let you
copy and paste graphics properties by selecting the graphic and using a
couple of menu clicks.

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>
wrote:

> Hullo people...
>
> For the past forever, I've been using screenshots taken as .gifs and
> figures as .wmfs to illustrate my Frame documents.
>
> First issue: For figures used in Frame, I import a .gif into Corel Draw,
> then export as a .wmf file. Starting recently, Ã propos of NOTHING, when I
> import a .wmf into a Frame graphic frame, rather than appearing at its
> original size, it is displayed at 0.01" x 0.01" as a speck. I have to open
> the Object Properties, and change the dimensions so that the width = the
> width of my text frame; then tweak the depth by clicking and dragging the
> top of the image from within the Frame graphics frame. I CANNOT figure out
> why figures are no longer imported at their original dimensions.
>
> Second issue: I've been wondering if I should switch to .pngs for both
> screenshots and figures (export figures @ 96 dpi, and import them at a 1:1
> ratio). Although the resolution of pngs starts to get mushy + text falls
> apart if I change the display size of a page in Frame or RoboHelp 7, the
> images look ok when I output to pdf and in the Help .chm file.
>
> I realize that .wmf is becoming an obsolete format; and recognize that my
> versions of Frame, Corel Draw X4 and RoboHelp are way out of date and need
> to be upgraded.
>
> Can anybody comment on the optimal formats to use for Frame, RoboHelp, and
> Word?
>
> And recommend whether I should just upgrade the apps I'm using, or switch
> to some other combination of apps (I know ya'll love Flare, but does it
> just replace RoboHelp, or can it be used to create source docs à la Frame?)
>
> So many decisions.... So little knowledge in me.

> Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork,
> communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l

> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> info.

> magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Lin Sims