Re: Anyone tried this in tech writing?

Subject: Re: Anyone tried this in tech writing?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Lois Patterson" <loisrpatterson -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- ga -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 17:28:55 -0700

In other words, is there anything in our field today that rivals that
heady purpose of the projects in that era? I don't think content
management and DITA have the same ring to them.

Well... I've attended the Intelligent Content Conference the last two years, and I was surprised to find that content management actually can be very exciting! The following presentations were much more exciting in person than the slide decks are, but it still gives you a great idea about how this stuff can actually matter. It was very inspiring.

* http://www.slideshare.net/IntelligentContent/content-management-with-teeth
* http://www.slideshare.net/IntelligentContent/twb-intelligent-content-conference-presentation
* http://www.slideshare.net/IntelligentContent/incorporating-natural-language-search

And using DITA, while not exciting unto itself per se, can make ones day-to-day work so much more efficient (after a long and laborious investment, I'll grant you) that you can focus on the content that's interesting and exciting. Well, that presupposes that you find the content itself exciting and interesting. And that's key.

My current assignment is an amazing fit for me because I really like the technology. But it would be an awful job for someone who found cryptography and security industry manufacturing stuff boring.

So the domains in which we write are definitely different than before, but I find the work much more interesting.

-Monique

Doc-To-Help 2014 v1 now available. SharePoint 2013 support, NetHelp enhancements, and more. Read all about it.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/NNcWqS