RE: Anyone tried this in tech writing?

Subject: RE: Anyone tried this in tech writing?
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- ga -dot- com>
To: "salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com" <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 16:22:35 -0700

Great story, Chris -- thanks for sharing.

So the question, and I suspect we've beaten this around before: Why does it always seem that the "Golden Age" was in the 80's and 90's? Is it because the computer industry was young and there was a lot of opportunity to write about software (and hardware)?

Or is it just something one feels after having so many years in the field?

In other words, is there anything in our field today that rivals that heady purpose of the projects in that era? I don't think content management and DITA have the same ring to them.

I think I mentioned before that the turning point to me seemed to be in the early 2000's with the advent of offshoring. Is it possible that that's when we sort of hit the wall with software documentation? (I remember in the mid-90's writing about how to use a 3-button mouse.)

So maybe the new entrants in our field get the "career pinnacle" assignments or projects. Is it possible that someone with many years in the field doesn't have ready access to these kinds of things? Or are they just so rare?

Just wondering out loud...

Steve