Re: Google - how far do you go?

Subject: Re: Google - how far do you go?
From: "rebecca officer" <rebecca -dot- officer -at- alliedtelesis -dot- co -dot- nz>
To: "Kevin McLauchlan" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 16:26:53 +1300

I'll look past page 1 of google if I'm looking for something
exhaustively. Occasionally I need to know whether *anyone* has talked
about something. In those cases, I'll look through all the results
google gives me, just in case there's something on page 8. Not that
there ever is.

For just general info-hunting, I almost always stay on page 1.

For Wikipedia, what Haim said.

Cheers
Rebecca

>>> Haim Roman <haim -dot- roman -at- gmail -dot- com> 3/04/14 09:06 >>>
I need a reason to spend time looking past page 1 of searches. What
would
make me think that there is better information via the links on page 2,
3,
etc.? If it's clear to me that I'm not getting the info I want via
the
links on page 1, then I'll check further pages. But that's often a
sign
that I need different search text.

For explanations that are more than a definition, then I normally
search
google. But among the results, I tend to go to the Wikipedia links.

Wikipedia is not divine revelation. But what on the net is? In fact,
what
in print is? (I'm excluding religious texts from this discussion)

- "Unadulterated dreck on *all* fronts" is quite a strong charge.
How
do you know?
- I tend to trust it for information on computer & network
protocols,
types of computer equipment, etc., though I can't prove it's
reliable for
that.
- I'm suspect of it on political issues, but that's true for most
political material (online, hardcopy, or broadcast).
- If you can find a reliable source of information for a given area
of
knowledge, then of course you should prefer that.

Howard (Haim) Roman -- haim -dot- roman -at- gmail -dot- com -- 052-8-592-599 -- ××××
××××

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 10:44 PM, McLauchlan, Kevin <
Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:

> In your normal, everyday interaction with public search engines
(Google,
> Bing, DuckDuckGo, etc.), for roughly what percentage of search
instances do
> you bother to look past page 1 of the results?
>
> Why?
>
> That is, I'm assuming that most people check page 1 of search results
and
> start clicking likely links, or else take a look at what came up as
page 1
> and decide right away that they need to revise their search, and
only
> occasionally (if ever) proceed to page 2, 3, or (shudder) further.
> So ... why do you mostly consider page 1 far enough (if that's what
you
> do), and why do you go past page 1 on those occasions that you do?
>
> I mostly go with hits from page one of search, until I've exhausted
the
> links (or skipped, based on an obviously low-probability summary),
and then
> I might try page 2 or three, though my perusal of links from page 1
has
> usually given me some hints as to how I might usefully refine my
search,
> instead of going further in the current results. It's been literally
years
> since I went past page 10 on any search. I'm more likely to switch
search
> engines and retry a search than I am to 'go deep'.
>
> On a related note, when you want to look up a term, and want more
than a
> dictionary definition, do you automatically use a standard Google (or
Bing
> or...) search, first, or do you go directly to something like
Wikipedia?

> Finally, if you are one of those people who think that Wikipedia is
not
> merely ... er.... uneven, but is generally unadulterated dreck on
all
> fronts... is that based on recent visits, or on the last time you
bothered
> in 2007... or was that 2005... ?
>
> The information contained in this electronic mail transmission
> may be privileged and confidential, and therefore, protected
> from disclosure. If you have received this communication in
> error, please notify us immediately by replying to this
> message and deleting it from your computer without copying
> or disclosing it.

> Doc-To-Help 2014 v1 now available. SharePoint 2013 support, NetHelp
> enhancement
s, and more. Read all about it.

> Learn more: http://bit.ly/NNcWqS

> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as haim -dot- roman -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources
and
> info.
>
> Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our
online
> magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>
> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our
public

Doc-To-Help 2014 v1 now available. SharePoint 2013 support, NetHelp
enhancements, and more. Read all about it.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/NNcWqS

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as
rebecca -dot- officer -at- alliedtelesis -dot- co -dot- nz -dot-

http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources
and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our
online magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives

notify Allied Telesis Labs Ltd immediately.
be the views of Allied Telesis Labs.