Need your feedback: Tech writers and usability/user experience

Subject: Need your feedback: Tech writers and usability/user experience
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 18:57:41 -0500 (CDT)

Hi, all

I am working with a usability expert, Eva Kaniasty, to develop a
presentation to a joint meeting of bostonCHI and New England STC. I
will be offering best practices to UX designers who sometimes are asked
to write user doc without any preparation, and Eva will be offering
best practices to tech writers who are working on usability without any
preparation.

I've got a question out to a UX list to make sure that I cover the
topics that are of most interest to UX designers, and I'm posting this
note to collect the same info for Eva, because she wants to be sure to
talk about issues of concern for us.

I'd say we have two main interactions with usability:

1. We note and report usability problems in the products we work on
2. We seek usability feedback about the documents/videos/etc that we
create.

The first question I want an answer to is, "How do we get usability
problems taken seriously? Are there technical terms or specific
arguments that cause people to pay serious attention?"

If you have questions and comments, please send them to me.
All responses welcome!

Thank you for your help.

--Nancy
Doc-To-Help 2014 v1 now available. SharePoint 2013 support, NetHelp enhancements, and more. Read all about it.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/NNcWqS