Re: "A few things tech writers frequently say"

Subject: Re: "A few things tech writers frequently say"
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 13:33:17 -0800

1. Videos are too tedious to watch — I’d rather have the text that I can go right to.

I agree. Videos are for people who do not enjoy reading and writing and who have a lot of time to follow someone's lengthy explanation of a very short assertion.

2. Users only go to help only to search for a specific answer, so they want a short topic rather than having to wade through a lot of content.

I agree with this and the example provided supports the short topic theory. One search should produce multiple short topic results that I can choose from rather than a manifesto I must pore through.

3. My preferred way to get help is to have a friend right beside me to ask questions whenever I need it.

This is only true when I want the wrong answers.

4. If I do a search on Google, I’ll find the content I’m looking for, but not when I use the application’s search.

You know, when you combine contexts in a discussion you can assert anything.

5. Tech writers don’t include more examples because they don’t have the information to write examples.

Sometimes this is true. Tech writers must also provide only the most relevant and useful examples and not every conceivable possibility.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ