Re: How to be a good manager

Subject: Re: How to be a good manager
From: Keith Mahoney <kamahoney1965 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 13:05:19 -0800

My suggestion would be to do more than just "doc production" - find folks
in your team who resonate with giving presentations, creating training
programs, train internal and external customers/clients, drive document
control and compliance/complaint/ticketing systems, as well as customer
service programs...and ya, PMP skills.

In terms of your staff - do things like let them run your staff, let them
have fun doing so - let them present to management, promote your team - but
for those that want to blend in stay in the background look at assigning
them tasks such as template production, metric reporting, etc.Also, ask
your staff for ideas, initiatives, things to lead and promote.

Take your staff out - away from work - one for offsites - good fun; but,
another for a feedback session - ask them to provide feedback on you. In
fact, when I get a new staff I present a "My Management Style" and open it
up for Q&A.

Generate quarterly goals - track how you reached and did not - use this to
show progress to management - get management to reveal what they want and
then communicate to your team; trust your team to share with them your
daily toils and ask for their help!

I would also ask management for an employee training budget - Your staff
may want to go to confs and tools training.

These days it's about more and being wanted - making you and your team
indispensable!

K.A. Mahoney