Subject: TechWhirl: Technical Communication Recap for November 8, 2013
From: TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 12:12:47 -0500

I’m not sure if balance is as important to other communications pros as it
is to me (I’m a Libra after all), but TechWhirl’s first week of November
featured great balance: Theory and practical advice, event recaps and
industry perspectives—a nice mix of “this is how it ought to be” and “this
is how it is.” Alyssa Fox conveyed her experience and advice on handling
Agile scrum as a writer, and Mark Baker offered a bit of applied theory in
his latest Users’ Advocate. If you missed out on Adobe Day at LavaCon, Ryan
Minaker summarized the highlights and the value of a pre-conference event.

Mark Baker’s other incarnation, as the blogger behind
EveryPageIsPageOne<http://everypageispageone.com/>stirred up some
debate this week on the email discussion list…Content
Engineer a new twist on an old argument about job titles and their
usefulness in explaining what we do. Meanwhile, other Whirlers, like Craig
Cardimon, are looking for useful tidbits on organizing and maintaining
knowledgebases, and Editor-in-Chief (another editor-in-chief) is struggling
with content reuse versus duplication.

We like looking at “ought” versus “is”… the folks in the tech comm, content
management and customer experience management worlds deal with both on a
pretty regular basis, and figuring out the right path takes a fair amount
of diving into both.

Have a great weekend!

-Connie and the gang at TechWhirl
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

*New features and articles on http://TechWhirl.com <http://techwhirl.com/>*
*:*

- Tech Writer This Week for November 7, 2013 | http://bit.ly/17amks3
- Users’ Advocate: Developing a Theory of the User, by Mark Baker |
http://bit.ly/1b79ptE
- Adobe Day at LavaCon 2013: The Value of Thought Leadership &
Networking, by Ryan Minaker | http://bit.ly/185lRra
- Agile and Tech Comm: Viewing Scrum from a Writer’s Eyes, by Alyssa Fox
| http://bit.ly/16Zq7IM

*Technical Communication news on http://TechWhirl.com/news
<http://techwhirl.com/news>:*

- QuadriSpace Pages3D 2013 Creates, Publishes 3D Content from CAD |
http://techwhirl.com/quadrispace-pages3d-2013-creates-publishes-3d-content-cad/
- Goodwinds Launches Process Street Beta for SOP and Process
Documentation | http://ow.ly/2BnTrn
- Madcap Lingo 8.0 Translation Management System Significantly Expands
Functionality | http://ow.ly/2BitMp
- SDL Partners with Acrolinx to Optimize Content via LiveContent |
http://ow.ly/2BhwJE
- Alfresco Releases Latest Records Management Module and Alfresco One
Platform | http://ow.ly/2Bg9LO

Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:

- Our Google Plus Page – what’s happening behind the scenes |
http://goo.gl/SO0R4
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click |
http://goo.gl/tDrW7
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg
- Updates from TechWhirl delivered to your email in box |
http://bit.ly/tjshxU
- Or, try our RSS feed (great on Flipboard) | http://goo.gl/msLzu

Sponsored Posts

- Adobe Systems: Discover your own XML savings in our November 5 “ROI
Calculator” Webinar<http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/2013/11/discover-your-own-savings-in-our-roi-calculator-webinar-oct-16.html>
- Scriptorium: Extending our content strategy empire—at least to the
Empire State<http://www.scriptorium.com/2013/11/extending-our-content-strategy-empire-at-least-to-the-empire-state/#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=extending-our-content-strategy-empire-at-least-to-the-empire-state>
- MadCap Software: MadCap Flare 9.1.2 is Now
Available<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/blog/2013/10/28/madcap-flare-9-1-2-is-now-available/>
- EasyDITA: DITA for Everyone: It’s not just for
TechPubs!<http://easydita.com/dita-for-everyone-its-not-just-for-techpubs/>

SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to our sponsors for their
support.

*Platinum*: Adobe Systems
Incorporated<http://www.runaware.com/clients/adobe/techsuite/>

*Gold: *ComponentOne Software <http://bit.ly/doc-to-help>, Madcap
Software<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/flare/overview.aspx#whatsnew>

*Silver*: Vancouver Island University <http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/>

Helping the world explore the art of content and communications

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist
Google+: plus.ly/TechWhirl