Re: Agile Environment Opinions Wanted

Subject: Re: Agile Environment Opinions Wanted
From: Jen <jennee -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 11:01:24 +0300

My former company wasn't doing Agile very well, I suppose, so there were a
few hitches.

Tech writers were invited to scrum meetings, but doc tasks weren't tracked
anywhere and the writers usually weren't asked for a status. I didn't mind
that - I basically worked Waterfall in an Agile environment, and I liked
that I was free to start documenting when most of the development was done.
(The specs weren't always clear and detailed enough, so many times projects
managers, devs and QAs *hoped* that they were doing the right thing. Once
or twice, this led to 1-2 months of development being scrapped, because the
client/upper management decided it was *not* the right thing.)

I also dealt with a lot of "oh we forgot to tell you we added this"...
sometimes I found out about a new feature 3 months down the road, when the
client logged a doc bug. It got a bit better with time, but most people
simply did not think of including the tech writer in the email threads. If
you can, push for this from the start - the more in the loop you are, the
easier your life will be.

Finally, due to various factors, most of the company did not care about the
doc department, so I could try to push back, but some project managers (who
played the role of Scrum masters) simply ignored me. In that case, I just
tried to do my best, cover my own ass by sending clear emails that without
so-and-so information I won't be able to finish... and hope for the best.

For me, Agile was an improvement over Waterfall - being in those daily
meetings helped immensely. I didn't have to rely on a developer to send me
the information, I was there when decisions were made and I could ask for
clarifications later. We also had client demos for most projects, and I was
there to take notes and make sure all the client's questions were covered
in the doc. The situation was pretty dire before Agile was implemented, so
we felt a big change; if the communication in your company is better than
it was in mine, it might not be such a big deal for you. (But it will
probably be a bit overwhelming at the start...)

Good luck!

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ