Re: Question about "sidebars"

Subject: Re: Question about "sidebars"
From: Shawn C <shawn -at- cohodata -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 12:29:25 -0700

I agree with Paul.

I would replace the word "note" with a non-copyrighted universally
recognized note symbol for several reasons:
- "Note" takes up too much space
- Icon works better if you ever localize your content
- Icon simply looks better (IMHO)

My general rules for sidebars:
- Keep them succinct
- Minimize them, where practical, in HTML output (PDF - just keep them
succinct).
- I prefer placing them in a shaded table (either stretched across page or
in a special side-bar margin).
But always be consistent! In other words, don't change the style
throughout a family of documents.
- Use icons to identify the sidebar theme (i.e. warnings, FYIs, notes,
etc.).
- Your icons can either be self-created or open source - Avoid stealing!
Just don't do that.
- Try to minimize the number of sidebars in a document (unless you are
writing a For Dummies themed book, where a million sidebars probably work).

Hope this helps.

Shawn

--
Shawn Connelly