RE: bouncing back from interview disappointment (WAS: Advice needed foran upcoming interview)

Subject: RE: bouncing back from interview disappointment (WAS: Advice needed foran upcoming interview)
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Anonymous'" <anonymous -at- techwhirl -dot- com>, "'Techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 13:18:46 -0400

Anonymous:

I totally understand how you feel. When I had not been in this field very
long, and was job searching after taking time off to have a child, I got
really excited about every interview, and really let down when I didn't get
the position I had interviewed for. After several cycles of job hunting (I
had several short-term contract positions), I started to tell myself, "It's
just another interview. You're the one who is building the emotional
rollercoaster. Calm down. Give it your best shot, then relax and don't
obsess about it. It's either going to happen, or not, and making yourself an
emotional basket case won't change the results."

I still have to give myself this reminder pep talk when I find myself
getting really excited about a new opportunity, but I'm not overreacting to
every positive response to every resume submissions. You did everything
right, and that's all you could have done. Today I got a polite email from a
company where I applied for a proposal writer job at least 3 months ago,
telling me that they had decided not to fill the position. The position had
been on and off several online job boards since Christmas. Sometimes you
don't get the job because the company decides not to fill it, or the company
gets acquired, or the manager who was doing the hiring leaves. All
circumstances that affected your getting the job, but were not affected by
your performance at the interview. If you honestly know you did your best,
don't berate yourself with questions without answers. Let go, and look for
the next opportunity.

Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n