RE: bouncing back from interview disappointment (WAS: Advice needed for an upcoming interview)

Subject: RE: bouncing back from interview disappointment (WAS: Advice needed for an upcoming interview)
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
To: Anonymous <anonymous -at- techwhirl -dot- com>, Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 17:02:57 +0000

It's a hard tree to climb into. Once you get in, if you are good and in a good market, moving from branch to branch isn't too hard.

As for rejection, it is never easy, but the difficulty is generally a function of our misguided universal human tendency to place too much stock in what strangers think of us.

If you were told that you were simply not the best candidate, and you cannot think of any obvious faux pas that you committed, you have a choice to make. You can either move on and try again, or you can engage in endless and mostly (totally?) fruitless self-analysis and, in future interviews, hyper-vigilance.

You did your best; it wasn't a good fit. You've made two moves in the chess-board of life. You lost a two pawns. That's ok. As long as you are breathing, you have an infinite supply of pawns! Try again--and let your "failure" form you into a more compassionate and forgiving person. That is arguably the only thing that failure is meant to accomplish in us in life.