Communications, The Fine Art of Voice Mail and Email

Subject: Communications, The Fine Art of Voice Mail and Email
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:23:19 -0400

Many (far too many) years ago, I learned the fine art of voice mail. And since it has been around for decades, I'd have thought others had learned it, but apparently not.

I get recruiters, developers, engineers, and so on all doing the same thing when they leave messages.

"Hi Bill, this is Fred. Give me a call when you get this."

WHY can't they just leave a real message? Something like:

"Hi Bill, this is Fred. I have that report you need. I'll stick it in the company mail and you should have it tomorrow."

"Hi Bill, this is Fred. Good news, you have the job. Starting date is April 22 at 8:00 am. Give me a call to confirm you got this."

"Hi Bill, this is Fred. For the first question you had, there are 27 widgets in the group, and they are all evenly spaced around the gambit. On the second question, the widgets stick to the gambit because of the dilithium crystals in their makeup as a natural attraction to gambits. If you need more, give me a call."

And you would think with email, since everyone seems to love to send as much as possible, they would be more than happy to write the beautiful prose they all seem to think they master. Yet instead, I get messages that go "Call me when you get this email."

And worse, if you are not there, as should be obvious since the call went to voice mail or you don't answer the email in 5 seconds, why do they follow up with another just like the first 5 minutes later?

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n