Re: Justifying FM (was About The Cloud: Quick-Read, Suggestions)

Subject: Re: Justifying FM (was About The Cloud: Quick-Read, Suggestions)
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 06:14:17 -0700

Thanks... I entirely get it and already knew of FM's industrial strength
when compared to InDesign, et al.

The point was (past tense) that I was looking at jumping to a company (FM)
the same size as my current employer (ID). As part of my interview process,
I had to review several of their existing docs. What I discovered was that *
Word* would have been overkill—never mind FM!

Now had the interviewing company expressed a future need regarding FM (all
of those you cite), who am I to challenge that? I would have happily
complied regardless of my feelings for FM's unfriendly UI. And I would have
had an opportunity to renew and improve my FM chops. But as it was, I would
have been on a steep learning curve regarding their business alone, so if I
could have eliminated having to retrain on FM, I could have focused on the
immediate business need.

It's all moot, however, if you read my OT post of a few days back. But
maybe this thread remnant will be of use to others.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n