Re: Purpose of Tech Comms today

Subject: Re: Purpose of Tech Comms today
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- ga -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:27:14 -0700

Depends on what you're generating. Probably 80-90% of the stuff I've generated over the years is scientific or industrial B2B materials like installation and maintenance manuals, regulatory submissions and business funding/grant proposals. All of it got read. The submissions and proposals may only have been read by a few people and maybe only once, but they were make-or-break readings for the companies and products.

I've spent a grand total of 13 months in my entire working life writing for products that get sold to retail consumers and end up under Xmas trees with bows on their boxes, and yeah, my guess is that no customers read anything except the quick-start cards.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 3/22/2013 12:03 PM, Janoff, Steven wrote:

So I'm sitting in a meeting today and it occurs to me that for some of the comms I'm working on now, in Word, nobody is actually going to sit there and read these things.

EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and more.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z