Re: Hiring TW without a test

Subject: Re: Hiring TW without a test
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Jen <jennee -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 08:58:57 -0700

That's easy enough to fix. Look at the questions you'd typically ask at the interview, pick one that will require a detailed answer and send it as a followup instead. Or send an email asking the candidates to give you their impressions of your company, the working environment, etc. Anything that will require them to reply with paragraphs instead of one-sentence answers. To get the replies in English, you can tell them there's another team member who is English-only who would like to ask them some questions and send the questions using that person's email address.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 3/21/2013 11:09 PM, Jen wrote:

Gene, you're absolutely right. We're not hiring a tech writer, but someone
who we hope can become a tech writer. I'm not doing the interviews myself,
but my team leader is paying attention to what you said. It's just hard to
gauge someone's writing skills without actual... writing. I hope we'll get
writing samples, even if it's after the initial interviews. (We weren't
involved in selecting the candidates, HR basically said "hey we scheduled
these 5 interviews for you" and we couldn't contact the candidates
beforehand.)

EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and more.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z