Re: % of time technical writers spend on core tasks?

Subject: Re: % of time technical writers spend on core tasks?
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:33:13 -0400

The sad part is I am the guilty side, in some respects. I have written job requirements just like that.

1. Proofreading
2. MS Word
3. Use of TOC and index
4. Use of alternate front material page numbering
5. PDF creation
6. Use of templates
7. Importing graphics
8. Editing graphics in ...

This was because I could use it to sift all the ones I didn't want or my boss didn't want. In one place, the boss didn't want to bring in a bunch from another division and was looking for a way to keep them out, as it would mean several of us would lose our jobs due to less seniority. We were forced to post the job, but we could make it so restrictive no one could get it.

Unfortunately, these recruiters don't know enough about these jobs to know what is garbage and what is real.

----- Original Message ----- From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>