Re: The Case Against Working at Home

Subject: Re: The Case Against Working at Home
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: Suzette Leeming <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 09:35:54 -0800

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Suzette Leeming
<suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>wrote:

> I have to admit that I don't understand people who telecommute in their
> jobs and think it's acceptable to also parent children, do housework, etc.

It's all a part of preferred work style. Some people are better at adapting
to multiple stimuli: Hence they can surf the web, watch TV, listen to
music, read books, and still produce at a high capacity during a work day.
And this happens even in an office, so it's not limited to telecommuters.

That said, parenting while working is not fair to the children. The last
thing kids need to see is their parents constantly working, when they
should be spending time with them. It's like we're telling our children
that they place second to our careers, when they most need us to guide
their interactions with the outside world.

> From all that I've read, it appears the main problem with remote workers at
> Yahoo was with the lack of management. Even remote workers need to be
> managed, monitored, and accountable. Lack of effective management has
> contributed to the situation at Yahoo, and all telecommuting workers look
> bad as a result.

So perhaps the "news" story was a sensationalized version of the real story
taken out of context?

-Tony
EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and more.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z