Re: The Case Against Working at Home

Subject: Re: The Case Against Working at Home
From: Suzette Leeming <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Dana Worley <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 12:12:38 -0500

I have to admit that I don't understand people who telecommute in their
jobs and think it's acceptable to also parent children, do housework, etc.

I work from home and during the hours I am working, I am dedicated to my
job. I may do a load of laundry, or throw something in the oven, during my
"lunch time", but otherwise I am focused on performing the tasks I'm being
paid to do. When my daughter was still in school, she would arrive home at
3:30 and I would take a "coffee break" and we'd discuss her day. Then I'd

We severely damage the perceived and real reputation of telecommuting
workers if we are dividing our time and not focused on the job.
Telecommuting is not a replacement for daycare, for example.

>From all that I've read, it appears the main problem with remote workers at
Yahoo was with the lack of management. Even remote workers need to be
managed, monitored, and accountable. Lack of effective management has
contributed to the situation at Yahoo, and all telecommuting workers look
bad as a result.

Just my 2 cents worth.