Re: What graphics tasks do you perform?

Subject: Re: What graphics tasks do you perform?
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:30:31 -0800

I used to use SnagIt for screenshots, but now use (the open source)
Greenshot.

Much of my editing is still done in Windows Paint—just because it's a
no-brainer. Many of my screenshots from prior user manuals, in which I had
to create elaborate "dummy" scenarios, only require minor modifications in
subsequent editions, so Paint lets me do a lot of no-fuss "fudging".

For logo work and a few other projects requiring more attention to detail
regarding approved typefaces, Illustrator is the tool of choice. I also
occasionally use Illustrator to create GUI images that end up in our
software; these usually also require a special typeface. This tool is
frustrating, however, in that I'm using a CS3 version that obviously needs
a lot of UI enhancements (and Adobe doesn't bother to solicit any of my
input).

I use Visio for all product labeling, inasmuch as I need to spec out
specific dimensions used in commercial stock. This tool lets me do it in a
straightforward manner, without having to reteach myself every time I go to
use it.

For batch photo resizing, I use a PhotoShop script that ships with the CS4
version I have.

The graphic manipulation features of InDesign (CS4) are quite useful, so I
rely on those a lot when creating user manual covers, marketing collateral
and whatnot.

Being a former instructor and technical book editor for the product, I'm
more acquainted with CorelDRAW! and still use version 7.0 to design MP3 DVD
labels and jackets for fun.

For photo manipulation, I find Picasa to be really easy to use for my
simplistic needs. Not having the motivation to become a PhotoShop guru, the
"fast and easy" method is good enough.