Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 88, Issue 10

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 88, Issue 10
From: wsfn <WSFN -at- rocketmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 10:24:24 -0800 (PST)

Dear Anonymous;

You may want to check with your corporate folks to determine if some of your customer base is U.S. Federal Government or possibly European.  If so, the reason they hesitate to include the screen caps is because they can be considered Section 508 (or the European equivalent) incompliant (not accessible for persons using screen readers, specifically) if not handled well.

If you determine that a federal contract or staff is involved in consuming your documentation (online or otherwise) it will be required to be Section 508 compliant.  You can select appropriate screen shots and have no problems if you follow some simple steps.

1. Does the graphic provide any additional or different information from the text surrounding it? (Yes?, add that to the alt text and/or the figure label)  (No?, keep the alt tag and figure label short and sweet, no need to explain anything... or don't include the image at all).

2.  Make sure every graphic provided includes an alt tag and/or a figure label which clearly indicates the purpose of the graphic.  "Screen XYZ showing PDQ state." OR "Screen XYZ showing the drop-down as described in step 4."

3.  IF the content is really complex and has call-outs or highlighted content, include an extended explanation as well as an alt tag (provide a link to it in the alt tag)...avoid if at all possible.

4.  Loophole which can be used in extreme situations: provide a point of contact and how to reach them to provide additional details in an alternative format (like read to someone, email, plain text document, etc.) that explains the content that is not easily provided in this format.  LAST RESORT ONLY.

~Faye

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus!

STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel is giving a free webinar on best practices
for creating mobile help.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/WNaCzd