ftp glitching -- help?

Subject: ftp glitching -- help?
From: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 08:33:09 -0800 (PST)

Folks,

OS: Windows XP Home Edition

What could cause my system to hang when ftp'ing files using Internet Explorer?
(I've dabbled with Filezilla, but that's another story).

Details: I'll navigate to the destination (for example, a fictitious
"ftp://12.34.396.387";), choose the "Open page in Windows Explorer" option, then
key in my username and password to get to the destination page.

I'll drag and drop the chosen file (usually a file folder with lots of
FrameMaker stuff) onto the destination page and get the small pop-up window with
the progress bar and estimated transfer time.

Invariably, when I'm down to the last 5 seconds, the process just continues on
and on and on . . . (the little icon folder keeps flowing from source computer
to destination computer in the little pop-up window).

I'll do a refresh of the destination page and sure enough, all target files are
all in place and compare nicely with the source files on my own terminal (in
other words, File A = 10K or so on both the source and destination pages).

So at that time, I try to cancel the progress bar pop-up window, but it
continues anyway (even when I use the Windows XP Task Manager utility).

So I simply minimize that little sucker and move onto the next file transfer (if
needed) with no apparent problems.

Is there a setting that I've overlooked? I have gotten no complaints from the
receiver of my files, so I know the transferred files are intact.

This doesn't seem to happen on my office terminal using Windows XP Professional.

-- Kenpo in Atlanta
See what's new in Doc-To-Help 2012 in a free webcast:

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/C1-webcast