Re: Unemployment compensation and self-employment (was Re: Laid Off)

Subject: Re: Unemployment compensation and self-employment (was Re: Laid Off)
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:52:51 -0800

On 1/19/2013 6:09 PM, beelia wrote:

If you're in California and file a claim with EDD, be prepared for a bureaucratic nightmare. This agency is totally broken. If you actually do get your benefits, you are probably one of the lucky few.

It used to be easy. They also spent millions to build a new system. It had glitches that they corrected but hit the local news anyway.

I was laid off two months ago and filed a day later online. I knew I was supposed to get a claim form to fill out and submit it, so I watched my mail - but got nothing.

You generally need contact agencies when you do not receive whatever forms you expect when it has been more than week. If you wait more than thirty days, then they generally cancel the process.

After a month I tried calling their office (about 50 times) but was never able to get through,

Many agencies with busy phone lines quit taking calls at lunch. Usually, you can get into the hold queue if you call when the phone lines open in the morning. EDD used to provide call backs on request.

even from the local shabby CalJobs office.

CalJobs has never worked. I don't even know why they bother keeping that open.

<...>
So I figured I'd go back to the web site and "reactivate" my application - but NO. You have to start all over again with a new claim, which required so much research that it took 4-5 hours the first time. If I knew where (and if) there is an office, I'd spend the time driving up to Sacramento instead to get this resolved.

There are offices, but I think they are for CalJobs. Nothing like adding insult to irony...

<...>

I understand your rant, Bee, and I can sympathize having been through various similar bureaucratic mazes, but you may want to temper your posts since this is a public forum and you are on Facebook with your email address. You do not want future employers to read something into your character as a potential employee.

See what's new in Doc-To-Help 2012 in a free webcast:

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/C1-webcast