Re: What is a Business Analyst?

Subject: Re: What is a Business Analyst?
From: Wade Courtney <wade -dot- courtney -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Steve Janoff (non-Celgene)" <sjanoff -at- celgene -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 21:15:00 -0700

As a business analyst/Product analyst/Junior Product manager I sit in
meetings listening to what others want the software to do. I take what they
want it to do and craft the requirements that will help the engineers
create the features. I also take Marketing requirements documents and
translate what they want for features in to the requirements for that
feature.

BAs tell the engineers what to make, Engineers decide how to make it.

Sometimes being a BA requires mocking up user interfaces and data flow
diagrams.
This button should do this
This text box should say that.

Requirements written by BAs usually start out with the system should...

You'll find everything you need here

http://www.iiba.org/IIBA/Home/IIBA_Website/Home.aspx?hkey=98c9dd81-d341-4a6e-a68a-e9cbc12536c9

As for a pay cut, it's not likely, depending on where you live. In San
Diego County, BAs start at the highest Tech Writing Salary.

You don't need to be a tech writer to be a BA, but that all depends on what
kind of BA you are, but it is a stepping stone to a higher salary, higher
position, and more responsibility.

Wade