Re: Help with Gmail Filters

Subject: Re: Help with Gmail Filters
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: Craig Cardimon <craig -dot- cardimon -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 08:36:54 -0700

Hey Craig,

There's a certain logic to Gmail's use of labels. You can assign
multiple labels to a message, so if you tag a message "Bob" and "The
Hansen project" then you can follow the same conversation in both
virtual folders.

Now, with regards to filters, when you set a filter to tag messages
and skip the inbox, they become archived. They should no longer appear
in your inbox, but rather the All Mail folder and the folders of any
assigned tags.

Where this differs is if you enable "smart inbox" which shows you
messages that are "Important and Unread", even if you asked for them
to skip the inbox. You would have to disable smart inbox, or figure
out how to trick gmail into not tracking
specific messages as important. You could also get used to it.

Where Gmail really shines is when it is used as a source for IMAP or
Exchange clients. Every label becomes a folder, and the inbox is just
another label. On my iPhone, I sync my gmail, calendar, and contacts
over Exchange. I don't see the messages I set to skip the inbox in my
inbox.

A different circumstance arises: The source content of the message is
in All Mail. If I delete the message from the Inbox folder, it only
removes the Inbox tag, and leaves the message in the archive. However,
when I delete the message from any other folder, the message is
deleted from All Mail.

I've gotten used to this behaviour, and tend to work in the All Mail
view more than others.

Thus explains why you thought when you access Gmail through its web
app that deleting a message from the Inbox should still save the
message, like when using an IMAP client. It doesn't. The web app
treats the message as a single entity, and deleting it sends it to the
trash.

Cheers,
-Tony

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help