Re: FrameMaker and DITA

Subject: Re: FrameMaker and DITA
From: Kathleen Jette <kjette -at- progress -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 13:31:29 -0400

Hi Kari,

When I first started writing in DITA, two things helped me become productive quickly. One was my knowledge of other mark-up languages and the other was not a skill but more a mindset or approach to documentation. Even when I used FrameMaker, I always thought of the documentation as a collection of topics rather than a linear chain of information like a book. I took a few workshops and training sessions on minimalism, structured writing, and modular writing, which strengthened my skills in writing in that form.

Over the years I have introduced a lot of writers to DITA and that mindset-topic-based writing versus linear writing-is the main stumbling block for a lot of writers. Those who are used to linear writing often have greater difficulty adapting to the principles on which DITA was founded.

Now, writing in DITA is one thing . . . working with the DITA toolkit is a whole other matter. THAT requires some skill. :)

On Monday, August 20, 2012, Kari Gulbrandsen wrote:

> Oops. I hit send too soon. I had the same questions about DITA.

> Thanks!

Regards,
Kathleen

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help