Re: What would you call this process, and role?

Subject: Re: What would you call this process, and role?
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 23:29:18 -0700

On 7/30/2012 5:18 PM, Steve Janoff (non-Celgene) wrote:

Great stuff. Out of these references I see a couple of other terms of interest: data visualization, and data exploitation.

"Data visualization"? That conjures up some odd images for me. Why am I reminded of the poem, The Night Before Christmas and "visions of sugar-plums" dancing in the heads of analysts? "Data dreaming" perhaps?

"Data exploitation" sounds so harsh, but contemporary and a bit like aggressive data mining.

"Data Analysis" may sound like a dull thing to be doing, ...

I like analysis.

Thanks, Lauren! Thanks too, Robert (valuable distinctions) and Monique!

Thank you!

I'll say this is sparking an interest in Information Architecture (in the original sense, per Richard Saul Wurman), Information Design, and infographics. Once you find the data and identify what you want to say with it, it's that presentation sense that becomes really interesting. Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and beyond. I wouldn't mind getting into some local graphic design training too.

That sounds like a role that can be called, Data Presentation. Understanding data is important right now, since many people have suffered economically by being misled by someone's data manipulation. People do not necessarily want to know the data, but they do want to know what the data means or how they can use the data to maximize their ROI or reverse a negative ROI. If you can present the data with same enthusiasm you have for analyzing it and get people enthusiastic about the data, then you can probably build yourself a lucrative niche.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help