RE: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 81, Issue 19

Subject: RE: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 81, Issue 19
From: MaryElise Dedicke <maryelise -dot- dedicke -at- pb -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 12:15:05 +0000

I also create online help for cloud apps. The banking app I'm working on now has 4 roles currently & will have more in the future. I use the DITA OT to create XHTML help, so I leverage the audience attribute at the ditamap level for topics that exclusively belong to just one or two roles, or at the paragraph level within topics when it's the case that all roles have access to a page in the app but see different content. I also created separate build scripts and ditavals for each role, so I can produce separate output for each role. One of the writers here created a javascript file which I populate with a case for each topic path, then I pass it to a developer who hooks each case in the js file to the appropriate page in the app. I have the help files hosted on our own docs server so I can update it at will. This is the 2nd project using this process and it's working well so far!

Mary Elise Dedicke, Advisory Technical Writer
Pitney Bowes Software
One Global View | Troy, NY 12180 USA
Office: 518.285.7646 | Fax: 518.285.7420 | www.pb.com
MaryElise -dot- Dedicke -at- pb -dot- com

Every connection is a new opportunity(tm)