Re: The e-mail charter

Subject: Re: The e-mail charter
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: William Sherman <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 08:36:13 -0700

This hasn't been much of a problem for me at work, because I almost never
give my work mail address out to anyone outside the company and have mostly
worked for small companies (the year I spent as a consultant to a major
global corporation is a notable and agonizing exception).

For my personal email, I use a programmable mail filtering app. Mail from
senders I want to receive from (including addresses I have previously sent
mail to, certain domains I know I can trust and lists such as this one) is
passed, mail from senders that the filter identifies as coming from known
bad sources are automatically deleted, and everything else (and I mean
EVERYTHING else) is automatically marked as suspect. It generally takes me
about a minute to scan through the suspect mail and mark anything I want to
allow through, then hit the "process" button and dump everything else, and
the apps heuristics remember the senders of suspect emails I don't save and
mark them as a known bad source the next time.

Now, if I could just do something about the snailmail spam I receive, and
those $%^& gardener ads in little plastic bags with stones in them that
people keep dropping in my driveway. And the phone. Don't get me started
on the phone...

Gene Kim-Eng

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help