RE: The magic tool that everyone can use without stepping on toes

Subject: RE: The magic tool that everyone can use without stepping on toes
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Milan DavidoviÄ <milan -dot- lists -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:46:25 -0400

Milan DavidoviÄ [mailto:milan -dot- lists -at- gmail -dot- com] asked:

> What was wrong with the then-current process that made such a tool
> desireable?

There are two ways to answer that:

a) there was no process

or

b) the processes that each distinct group had for addressing their distinct audiences were just fine for their purposes... until a third group was added to the mix.

I believe that, as with many other such "initiatives", a light-bulb flickered on in the brain occupying a corner office, and the nearest warm body was drafted to bring the vague notion to life. The warm body in question was the guy I quoted. I hesitate only slightly to infer that there was a connection with his subsequent departure.

I think the issue was that "Professional Services" wanted to supplant the external groups "Customers" (target of the written output of techpubs) and "Potential Customers" (target of the written output of marketing) with themselves (Professional Services) as the primary customer of both content-producing groups. Our raison-d'Ãtre would become to provide Professional Services what they needed in the form most convenient to them, while possibly still addressing the needs of our original reader-customers in some fashion.

Anyway, it hasn't been raised since then (six years and counting).

or disclosing it.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help