"Internet Standard (STD)" - phrase known by Web programmers ?

Subject: "Internet Standard (STD)" - phrase known by Web programmers ?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 13:00:37 -0700

Hello, writers,

Iâd like to know whether a particular phrase that an engineering SME wants me to use in a doc is generally understood by Web programmers (for eCommerce websites): âInternet Standardsâ. And by this the SME means the standards from the IETF, as Wikipedia explains: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Standard.

When he first suggested the phrase, I didnât know that it was anything official. Then when he supplied the above Wikipedia link I was surprised. I know all about RFCs and the IETF, but didnât know about this âInternet Standard (STD)â term (which does have an unfortunate acronym).

So my question is, will the typical website developer at a major eCommerce websiteâthe doc audience--likely know whatâs meant by Internet Standards or will they think that this is just some vague thing, such that I should provide the Wikipedia link (or a logical alternative, such as http://www.isoc.org/internet/standards/ or http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcxx00.html)?

If context is important, itâs in a section where weâre explaining that people need to use the XSD file that accompanies the XML file to avoid parsing errors when the schema changes:

âThis standard XSD file usage provides us the flexibility to revise or extend the XML schema without requiring you to modify your process. And when you use the XSD per Internet Standards, you should not experience parsing failures as a result of a schema update.â

Thanks for your take on this!
-Monique

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help