TIP - PDFs from Word show inserted image filenames (upon mouseover)

Subject: TIP - PDFs from Word show inserted image filenames (upon mouseover)
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 15:43:18 -0700

Hello, TechWR-L-ers,

I just noticed something odd, thatâs actually pretty nice but that could trip you up if you donât know about it and use âinappropriateâ filenames for images that you insert into your Word source.

In my PDF, when I mouseover an image, a tooltip pops up with the filename of the image I inserted. So generally no problem because I name my images to match pretty closely with the image captions. (And in fact, itâs kind of nice because then itâs easy to pick out an image for later manipulation.)

But occasionally I repurpose images and so their filenames might look a little odd to readers. And if you donât have a publicly appropriate filename, you might be inadvertently exposing that to the world, so itâs nice to know about this.

Caveat: I donât know if this is version specific (Iâm using Acrobat 9 Pro Extended, Word 2007, on Win 7), and havenât even looked to see if this is how my PDFs that were generated from FrameMaker or other Word versions behave.

Just an interesting factoid that might be useful to someone,
-Monique

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help