Re: HAT to replace Forehelp 5 - working with Passolo and Visual Studio

Subject: Re: HAT to replace Forehelp 5 - working with Passolo and Visual Studio
From: "Dana Worley (MVP/JB)" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 09:01:47 -0600

If you are used to working in Word, Doc-To-Help is also a tool you should look at (it's what we use at CSI to develop our help).

You may want to review the information at http://hat-matrix.com, which allows you to do a comparison of help development tools. Most of the tool vendors provide free trials, so try to narrow your list down based on features and then try out a few to see what best fits your workflow.

Dana W.

On 3/21/2012 11:42 AM, Charlotte Claussen wrote:

I know this question is not new, but I hope you will forgive me.

I am new TW in a company where a change from Forehelp 5 to a new HAT is needed.

Translations are done in Passolo, and development is done with Visual Studio.

SME's write drafts for help files using word and paint in
collaboration with the TW.
(My guess is that they will be open for other tools if it's easy to
learn and use.)

When the files are finished, the TW creates .chm files

Additionally, help in form of pdfs and videos are integrated in the software.
(The pdfs and videos are delivered from the marketing and training department.)

Whith this information, what will you suggest?

Are there questions, I should ask internally - or decisions we need to
make - before choosing?

Best regards,

Charlotte Claussen

--