RE: [in]consistency of fonts

Subject: RE: [in]consistency of fonts
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 12:45:25 -0800

McLauchlan, Kevin wrote:

> Naturally, I have a standard format (color, size, font, and underline)
> for hyperlink text.
>
> Mostly, that works, and nobody complains.
>
> However, many command-line interface commands have sub-commands and
> options that get their own pages.
>
> So, an intro page for a major command will have just a list with the
> subcommands under headings,
> mimicking the look of the command-line summary syntax, like:
>
> widget - manage widgets in the system
> The following sub-commands are available:
>
> Name (short) Description
> ===== ====== ===========
> add a Add a new widget
> delete de Delete a named widget
> clear c Delete all widgets
> enable e Enable a widget by name
> disable di Disable a widget by name
> show s Show info about a named widget
> list l List all widgets
>

> Naturally, it would be nice if each sub-command's Name were to be a
> link to the page that describes that command.
>
> How important would it be to you (and why):
>

> - that the link words keep the same appearance as links
> anywhere in the WebHelp, so it's obvious they are links
>
> - that the link words be modified to blend in with the CLI
> look-and-feel, and users will just know that they are links?

There are two goals that appear to conflict: (1) let users know the sub-commands are links and (2) maintain the CLI look and feel. But both goals could be satisfied by changing the command intro as follows:

widget - manage widgets in the system
The following sub-commands are available (click a sub-command for more information):

Would a compromise like that satisfy the concerns of both camps?

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom