Re: Stupid users (was Re: Is there a term for this?)

Subject: Re: Stupid users (was Re: Is there a term for this?)
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 11:17:02 -0500

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 10:11:12 -0500, Phil Snow Leopard <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com> wrote:

There is NO way to turn of Autosave ...

That and the rest of the hokey design should have been caught by SQA or by the TW staff way back at the Requirement Spec phase. I'm certain there was a design spec. There has to be. The idea of "just shove in these changes" went out long ago. (Or did it come back in with Agile?)

Do tech writers ever see Requirement Specs any more? I've not seen them in about a quarter century, but perhaps that because of where I've worked.

So I would have liked to be a fly on the Apple Tech Pubs wall...

TW: I want to document how to turn off autosave, but I don't see it in the spec. How do I do it?
SME: You can't.
TW: Of course you can. The users will ask how, and my doc will look stupid if I can't tell them.
SME: No it won't. They won't want to turn it off.
TW: How do you know that, and what should I say?
SME: We did a study. Nobody mentioned it. So just don't you mention it. It's not a problem. Don't worry. No one will care.
TW: [gnashing of teeth]