Re: need suggestions on handling a bos

Subject: Re: need suggestions on handling a bos
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 16:23:08 -0800

On 12/7/2011 3:30 PM, INKtopia Admin wrote:

I think it'd be a good idea to continue the thread of how to handle a
difficult boss on this thread vs the original one.

I totally agree with this. I remember in the mid-1990's a co-worker (a rocket scientist with a Ph.D. in physics, but working as a contract technical writer, go figure) mentioned that his goal in any job was to work himself out of job by automating so much of his job that it became obsolete. He said that his primary task was to manage his manager. I am still learning how to do this the way he said, but I do think that it is important to understand one's manager's managerial style and respond to that, rather than expect a manager to adapt to every employee's personal management style. It seems that there are many times when employees want the manager to adapt.

As an independent contractor (rather than a temporary employee), I can tell a manager that I have a method for completing work and employers will respect that, since they want to economize how much time I will be on the contract. Unfortunately, some managers do not understand this and they want the short IC time to complete a project with the administrative compliance one would have with an employee. Even as an independent consultant, I still need to learn about the manager, since the manager may not understand what "independent" really means. Now, when I work as a temporary employee, my methods are whatever the company wants.

Lauren

http://www.doctohelp.com