Re: Help! Authoring/maintaining content directly in RoboHelp 9 (HTML) -- Best practices...?

Subject: Re: Help! Authoring/maintaining content directly in RoboHelp 9 (HTML) -- Best practices...?
From: Gregory P Sweet <gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us>
To: ryan -dot- minaker -at- ca -dot- pwc -dot- com
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 14:11:25 -0500

We use the PDF reviewing features built into RH9 quite successfully. SMEs
only need Reader to review the document and since editing the text directly
is very limited in Reader, SMes cannot mess with your styles or formatting.

12/06/2011 09:41:31 AM:

> From: ryan -dot- minaker -at- ca -dot- pwc -dot- com
> To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
> Date: 12/06/2011 09:50 AM
> Subject: Help! Authoring/maintaining content directly in RoboHelp 9
> (HTML) -- Best practices...?
> Sent by: techwr-l-bounces+gps03=health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a medium sized(?) RoboHelp project (about 200 pages). The source
> content is contained within RoboHelp (i.e., typed directly into the
> RoboHelp HTML authoring tool). I'm finding that this makes drafting and
> reviewing updates to the content extremely inefficient. I think that I
> might be doing something wrong here, but this is the process that I've
> been following when I update this content:
>
> 1. Export the project to printed documentation (MS Word).
> 2. Turn on track changes in MS Word and update the document.
> 3. Have the SME review and provide comments etc.
> 4. Copy and paste the updated content into RoboHelp (HTML)...
>
> Any time copy and paste is part of a process, there is definitely a
> problem... but I can't see any way around this. In the past, I maintained

> content in FrameMaker or (worst case) Word and then I would run in
through
> RoboHelp or Webworks etc to generate the HTML help...
>
> Is there a better way? I really need to remove these two extra steps from

> this process (1 and 4). Ideally, I'm open to anything, including XML or
> using a different authoring tool etc..
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ryan
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

http://www.doctohelp.com