Re: STC certification: what's in it for tech writers?

Subject: Re: STC certification: what's in it for tech writers?
From: Steven Jong <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:02:19 -0400

I am using Gene's figures to consider the ROI of a degree versus a certification. If requiring a specific degree is a gating factor to getting a job, certification won't replace it. All I'm saying is that certification helps you stand out among the set of qualified applicants, which is unfortunately quite large these days. If, using Gene's back-of-the-envelope figures, certification gets you a 25% edge, it would have a darn better ROI than the degree that gets you the other 75%.

Whether having to have some degree is a gating factor or not is open for debate. As it happens, my father, who worked on missile systems whose names you would recognize today, was a successful technical writer without even a high-school diploma. But that was another era, and when we first started talking about certification, I thought that we should require a BS and five years of experience. (#honoringthyfatherfail 8^( When I took that idea on the road, I had people get in my face and practically shout at me that having a degree is NOT a gating factor. Subsequent research showed that setting the bar that high would lock out a significant number of working practitioners. So we didn't do that.

-- Steve

--
Steven Jong ("Typo? What tpyo?")
SteveFJong -at- comcast -dot- net