RE: STC certification: what's in it for tech writers?

Subject: RE: STC certification: what's in it for tech writers?
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:40:39 +0000

While most of Steve's arguments are cogent, the certification vs. degree ROI argument is specious. Having a degree is a gating factor for the vast majority of tech writing jobs. Without a degree, you don't even get an interview. So while certification may make a degreed writer more attractive (and be particularly important for someone with a degree in engineering or science), for those writing jobs that do not require a degree, certification is arguably not going to make a difference. In short, certification can't stand on its own. Granted that, you can't factor its value alongside criteria that do stand alone.