RE: Arbortext Alternatives - MIL-STD 40051 XML Tech Manuals

Subject: RE: Arbortext Alternatives - MIL-STD 40051 XML Tech Manuals
From: "Robert Williams" <robert -dot- williams -at- techresearchgroup -dot- com>
To: "'Mark Giffin'" <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 15:23:18 -0400

First, thanks for replies.

Thanks for the tip on Oxygen Author view (it's only intimidating to new
users / MS Word writers, and only for a little while.) I don't see a huge
benefit there.

We get PDFs from AntennaHouse using their XSL-FO processor, pointing at the
gov't stylesheet .XSL files to generate PDFs (not perfect, but not a bad
quick check of the output for simply checking formatting). We are
continuing to try to refine the AntennaHouse XSL-FO setup to make it better.
Though I am still perplexed that using the same stylesheet that the output
PDF still has some differences from the Arbortext PDF output. Still working
on that one.

We don't use Arbortext Publishing Engine - simply standalone sets of Editor
6.0 with Print Composer.

Our gov't customers have recently shifted from standalone to the Arbortext
publishing engine and the associated print server.

Previously with our gov't counterparts using Arbortext standalone, there
were differences in the output PDF (again gov't DoD US Army LOGSA DTD
/stylesheets), depending on whether you >File>'Print... Adobe PDF as
printer', or 'Print Preview...' or 'Publish PDF.'

So, they're relaxing their emphasis on the PDF as a deliverable, for two
reasons - consistency and variability. Our deliverable XML will now always
PDF the same for them on their system (using their print server). The PDFs
submitted by contractors can have some variability if they're doing it
standalone (like us) and how they PDFed it.

We are attempting to work the problem as a reasonable cost alternative to
the Arbortext 'monkey on the back.' So far it is working, I was just curious
how others were doing it.

I 'get' the argument that the costs of structured Frame (templates) and
Arbortext are the costs of doing business. I just bridle at the recurring
monthly 'gouge' of 'software maintenance' on top of the 'not so trivial'
cost per workstation of Arbortext Editor and Print Composer (which is no
longer supported going forward.)

My 1 1/2 cents.

Thanks

Bob W.