RE: Original work [was RE: STC certification program:skepticalcurmudgeonlyness, part II]

Subject: RE: Original work [was RE: STC certification program:skepticalcurmudgeonlyness, part II]
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Mark Baker'" <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>, "'Gene Kim-Eng'" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 23:16:48 -0400

Mark Baker said.... "The artisan is not more talented than the engineer
(rather less, if anything) and I can't see that teaching is more apt to
stress engineering rather than artisanship (particularly in technical
communication)."

HUH? Having done both, I think both are equally talented, but in different
areas of expertise. I know many engineers that are also artisans, and
artisans that are also engineers. I also know teachers who stress both
engineering and artisanship, and they teach technical communications.
Artisanship is important when you are writing documentation for the consumer
marketplace. It has to look good as well as communicate.

After over 40 years in the industry, I feel the creative side (the artisan)
is just as important as the engineering side when developing the range of
material I am responsible for (wikis, hardware and software manuals, and so
on...). I have to say my many years as a professional photographer (artisan)
has helped me illustrate the highly complex manuals I develop.

However, while I feel that you are wrong in your assertion, I respect you
opinion.

Al Geist-Geist Associates
Technical Communication, Help, Documentation Management
Mobile: 231-301-5770
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
Website: www.geistassociates.com
Blog: www.gooterscheltz.com
Facebook: Geist Arts

See Also:
Geist Arts - Fine Art Photography - Exceptional Note Cards
www.geistarts.com

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)

http://www.doctohelp.com