RE: Generate One TOC from multiple Word Docs

Subject: RE: Generate One TOC from multiple Word Docs
From: Kath Bowman <Kath -dot- Bowman -at- au -dot- saabgroup -dot- com>
To: Roberta Hennessey <rahennessey -at- gmail -dot- com>, tech writer tech writer <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 09:02:55 +1030

Roberta wrote:

"Issue: 400+ page Word 2007 doc that keeps crashing.
We have come up with two possible solutions:
1) Break Word doc into four documents. Generate one TOC for all four docs.
(I see articles on using RD | text fields though my question is, once created, can we update the TOC as easlily as clicking the update button?
2. Break Word doc into four documents, pdf all four Word docs, then combine in one pdf. Is it possible to generate a TOC in the pdf? (We have Acrobat
Pro.)
Has anyone on the list ever run into this issue? What did you find was the best solution? The best solution would be a TOC of some sort that could be updated automatically."

Hi Roberta,
Ideally you should try to fix the problem. If you split your document into 4, you may find that one of the splits still falls over.
That said, you can generate a TOC from a collection of documents using RD (Reference Document) fields.
I haven't done it for a long while, but I recall that the easiest way to set up the referencing was to place all docs in the same folder.
You also need to check the page (and chapter) numbering to make the result matches what you want. When it is all set up, you can then update the TOC (and index if you have one) as if the collection of docs was one.
Regards
Kath

http://www.doctohelp.com