RE: Single sourcing, RoboHelp, and Frame: Newbie

Subject: RE: Single sourcing, RoboHelp, and Frame: Newbie
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: William Sherman <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 13:48:42 -0700

William Sherman wrote:

> During this time, I was fortunate enough to attend a conference call
> with
> Adobe with our company. At the time, they didn't have a means to jump
> back
> and forth with RH7 and FrameMaker. I thought that strange that one
> Adobe
> product wouldn't work with another Adobe product but would with
> Microsoft.

It's not strange once you realize that both products came to Adobe via acquisitions rather than being developed in-house.

> Hopefully, that has changed on newer versions.

It has. The Adobe Technical Communication Suite (TCS) includes special, integrated versions of FM and RH that (at least in theory) make it easy to author in FM for both print/PDF and, via RH, any of several help formats. I say "in theory" because in TCS 2 I encountered some problems that made me back away and stick with my FM 7.2 -> ePublisher Pro workflow (my schedule just didn't permit putting further effort into resolving the problems).

The main issue I encountered was RH's inability to render acceptable (to me) online versions of my nested numbered lists. Mind you, I'm sure that others found the results good enough, but I'm rather picky. RH kludged the outdents with non-breaking spaces, and the first line of each numbered list pgf was not quite aligned with subsequent lines. Yuck.

I understand this and other shortcomings have been addressed in TCS 3, but I haven't had time to look into it.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom